Thursday, February 19, 2009

Our Ranks Are Dwindling


I put my feet in front of me, lean into where I'm going
What is this banner in my hands, torn streamers worn and blowing?
Why carry I this lonely flag whose bearer fell today?
Why, squinting, do I carry on? I cannot see the way.
Six years ago we led the charge, my dearest friends and I;
Shoulder-shoulder, weapons drawn, to fight, perhaps to die
I've watched so many 'round me break, and faintly smiling fall
I doubted once, but now it looks like love may conquer all.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Has someone new fallen? Have you fallen??? :)

Aye Spy said...

Not I, but one of my old bachelor friends.

Kate The Great said...

Awww. I was hoping that horseride of yours would have led to a fellow fallen comrade.

I've always admired how you can make things rhyme. I can't. My stuff sounds better as free-style and with vivid images. Not sayingf that this isn't vivid, though... :D

Aye Spy said...

Funny, I thought so too, but alas, I was wrong. I'm in a bit of a boy-hating mood of late, so I'm really fine carrying Singledom's flag.

As for the rhyme, thanks! I have made it one of my missions in life to prove that poems that rhyme in proper meter can be truly awesome. :)