Monday, April 21, 2008

Getting Away

Ten minutes standing at my windowsill
Grass at chin-height through the glass and still
I felt no calm inside this grave agape
A rabbit kicking in a snare -
escape!

Friday afternoon I left the apartment, and I didn't come back until well after lunch Saturday. I went to my grandma's house, and I did not tell anyone where I was going.

So I admit that was wrong of me - the not telling anyone where I was going part. A young woman can't afford to have unknown whereabouts these days. But aside from that, leaving was the best thing for me to do that afternoon. Sometimes leaving a stressful situation - temporarily - is the best way to begin fixing it.

A lot of my friends are students, and most of them are also feeling stress as the semester winds down. To them I say, take a break! Get away if you can, even if it's only for a day. Or for an hour. It's funny how much even a little vacation can clear your head and give you a fresh perspective.

No comments: