Monday, October 19, 2009

Comfort Movie

And I said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?"
She said, "I think I remember that film,
and as I recall, I think we both kinda liked it."
And I said, "Well, that's one thing we've got."

Deep Blue Something, "Breakfast at Tiffany's"


Something about the slow advance of autumn and winter makes me want to see this movie over and over again. For some reason it strikes all the right chords in me. I guess it's mostly because of Sandra Bullock's character, Lucy; I feel a real kinship with her. Unlike the heroines in most of the rom-coms of the last few years, Lucy is smart, goofy (but not in a stupid or ditzy way), and most importantly, she's genuinely kind and interested in doing the right thing. So I actually care what happens to her. It's not a "real" story, and it's not realistic in every detail, but the characters are real and the feelings are real. So yeah, when I feel dreary or lonely, this is my comfort flick.

Do you have a movie that you watch just to feel comforted or relaxed? Maybe it's music or something else for you instead of a movie. What's your comfort media?

4 comments:

Kate The Great said...

No, I don't. And your post makes me think that I should. I have books that I love and that I've read several times because I love them so much, but I don't have anything I run to. The only things I can think of are a cup of hot chocolate, made by mix that's homemade, not that cheap, uniform powder stuff, and my blankie, which has been sitting in my mom's cedar chest since I got engaged.

Momof8 said...

I love the CDs "Peace Like a River" and "Love Is Spoken Here" by the MoTabChoir. There is no match anywhere for feeling peaceful and loved.

Ryan said...

I can't really watch While You Were Sleeping anymore. The soundtrack makes me want to violently shove icepicks into my ears.

I don't think I've ever used media for comfort reasons. Well, except for that one time when I tried to watch The Ring in a dark and empty basement by myself and after a few minutes decided to watch something happier instead.

Unknown said...

You know, I feel the same to Lucy. She inspires me. Besides, I have a friend Lucy who is working by the way at http://www.essay-writing-place.com/, Lucy Grate. Have you read her stories? I strongly recommend. She writes wonderful short stories.