Monday, October 20, 2008

Men!

But I can't spell it out for you,
No, it's never gonna be that simple.
No, I can't spell it out for you.

Colbie Caillat, "Realize"


As a single girl, every once in a while I get little glimpses into the single male psyche in regards to love and dating. Sometimes it's touching, surprising, and inspiring. Other times, like the instance prompting this article, it's confusing and extremely frustrating.

Guys: Ask. Girls. On. Dates.

"It's not that simple," whines the collective male spirit.

It's not that complicated either.

I'm frustrated for all the times I looked at a handsome, upstanding young man and thought that if he really knew me, if he could open his eyes and just SEE me, for crying out loud, he would realize that we'd be beautiful together. I'm frustrated for all the time spent carefully conversing with a guy, making him laugh, asking him questions, listening attentively, talking more about him than about me, only to be rewarded with nothing, nothing, nothing for my efforts. A date isn't a random act of kindness, guys; it's repayment, and I feel surrounded by debtors.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I wish that Eldon's younger brother was like a foot taller... So, I'm guessing them English boys aren't any smarter than the ones over here... they've got to be blind - seriously!