Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Keeping in Touch

To my surprise, yesterday when I got home for the evening, I found I'd missed a call from my older brother. He lives with his wife and kid in Virgina, and I hadn't heard much from him beyond a couple emails and birthday calls since Christmas. He hadn't heard much from me either.

Last year at about this time I was pretty desolate that they were moving out east. "People who know how to use technology are never very far apart," he said just before he climbed into his grandparent-in-laws' minivan with the last load of suitcases. I stood and watched, nodding and smiling and trying not to cry. He meant instant (and video) messaging, emailing, and the blog we started shortly after they got out east. As the computer science nut in the family, R kept me up on such things.

How soon we forget, huh? Technology is great ("I love technology"), and we've had great blog articles and email exchanges and a few video chats. But when I called R back last night, I realized just how long it had been since I'd really talked to him. Hearing his voice took me back for a few minutes to those lovely evenings last summer, me and my brother and his wife, discussing classes, coworkers, and careers. I had forgotten how much fun it was to talk to them.

"So this is why it's imortant to keep in touch," I thought after we said goodnight and hung up. After a fifteen-minute phone call I felt happier than I'd been all day. Everything tends to entropy, doesn't it? Even relationships. It's an effort to keep in touch. But I realized again last night how worthwhile it is to make that effort.

No comments: